The plants available for sale at convention come from commercial vendors, from our members, and from chapters who may participate as donors or vendors. An invitation to participate as either a donor or vendor is extended to all Gesneriad Society members who adhere to the following guidelines. Any amount of donated plant material is greatly appreciated. Donated plants do not need to be priced in advance, although it would be helpful. All potted plants for sale should be well rooted, clearly labeled, and insect/disease free. Rhizomes, tubers, cuttings, and stolons in labeled plastic bags are also welcome. All plants should be delivered to the plant sales storage area by Wednesday evening or the very latest Thursday morning. If you plan on arriving later, please notify Plant Sales Co-Chair Patrick Smith to make alternate arrangements.
Each item coming into plant sales must be labeled per the instructions below. All individuals, chapters, and vendors putting plants into the sale are expected to volunteer in the sales room for a few hours during convention. Plants are dual tagged to ensure that sellers receive proceeds from their plants, that buyers go home with correctly named plants, and that the sales process is efficient.
DONORS: Any amount of donated plant material is greatly appreciated. You do not need to price your plants in advance, although it would be helpful. Simply bring your donated materials to the sales rooms and the sales committee will price them.
• Each plant must be labeled, with its name printed clearly on a WHITE plant tag placed securely in the pot. Growers are requested to place their name on the back of the WHITE plant identification label. Please use a complete plastic tag in each pot; do not cut tags into small pieces for labels.
• Label cuttings, rhizomes, tubers and bagged plants by clearly printing the plant name on the bag or on a WHITE plant tag securely attached to the bag using tape. Alternatively, place a plastic label inside the bag.
VENDORS: To be considered a vendor at convention (and receive some of the sales revenue) you must bring a minimum of 50 plants. Note: vendors do not have to put their name on the plant identification labels described above. In addition to the labeling described above:
• On a separate brightly COLORED plant tag, show the price and seller's identification. Please make this longer than the name tag.
• Place BOTH tags on the same side of the pot facing out. It will help if the price tag is longer than the name tag.
• Price cuttings, rhizomes, tubers and bagged plants by attaching a brightly COLORED tag with the price and seller's identification. Attach the price tag separately from the name tag using tape. Please do not staple pricing labels to bags.
If you plan to donate and/or sell plants at convention, as soon as possible send your name, address, and the ID and tag color (example: “M.G.” on blue tag) you will use to Plant Sales Co-Chair Mel Grice, 2019 Crosswind Court, Englewood, OH 45322 USA. Proceeds from plant sales are mailed to vendors after convention.
Information about phytosanitary certificate requirements for transporting plants into and out of Canada will be available on the website at a later date.